Patent Attorney Review IntroductionBefore filing your provisional patent application with the USPTO, it is strongly recommended to have a patent attorney perform at least a preliminary review of your provisional patent application to provide you with a basic level of guidance as to what you can do to improve your provisional patent application. A patent attorney can potentially locate weak areas within your provisional patent application thereby allowing you to correct any mistakes before filing the application with the USPTO. Neustel Law Offices, LTD provides an affordable Patent Attorney Review for a flat-fee of $299 which is discussed below. This flat-fee does not include any legal services required after the Patent Attorney Review or that are outside of the scope of the Patent Attorney Review. Also, the Patent Attorney Review is only for provisional patent applications prepared using PatentWizard.
Why We Offer This Limited Service
While we recommend that patent applications filed with the USPTO should be prepared and filed by a qualified patent attorney, we realize that some inventors are willing to take a calculated risk to save money up-front in the patent process by self-drafting their own provisional application and are aware of the inherent risks of losing some or all of their patent rights. The purpose of this very limited service is to perform a very limited review of the self-drafted provisional — the actual editing and ensuring that the provisional application has all of your inventive subject matter is solely up to you. If you have any doubts about self-drafting your own provisional application, you shouldn’t. Make sure to read all of the information below before proceeding with this very limited service.
Purpose of Limited Patent Attorney ReviewThe purpose of the Patent Attorney Review is to provide basic feedback from a U.S. patent attorney as to how to potentially improve your self-drafted provisional application. The Patent Attorney Review by Neustel Law Offices, LTD will only provide you with basic feedback as to what you can potentially do to improve your provisional patent application (if you want detailed feedback and editing, that will cost significantly more and is a separate legal service).
We Reserve the Right to NOT Accept Representation
Please note that Neustel Law Offices reserves the right to not accept representation for any reason and without explanation so you should only rely upon a submitted order once we have confirmed we have accepted representation. Examples of situations where Neustel Law Offices will not accept representation include, but are not limited to, the following situations:
- self-drafted provisional applications not prepared with PatentWizard software;
- we have a conflict of interest with the subject matter of your invention;
- we do not believe it is in our best interests to provide representation in the matter;
- it is difficult to provide representation;
- any other reason.
If you are uncomfortable with preparing your own provisional patent application, Neustel Law Offices, LTD will professionally prepare and file your provisional patent application. If this is an option you would prefer, please Contact Us to learn more on how to get a fee quote from Neustel Law Offices, LTD.
What You Do NOT Get
If we decide to accept representation in performing a basic review of your self-drafted provisional application, you will NOT get the following from Neustel Law Offices, LTD with the review:
- No Proofreading, Editing or Other Modification. We will not proofread, edit or otherwise modify your self-drafted provisional application. Again, we only review your self-drafted provisional application to provide you with basic feedback regarding how you can possibly improve your provisional application. It is completely up to you to prepare and decide if you have included sufficient information for your provisional application meet the requirements of U.S. patent laws.
- No Guarantee of Fast Review. We are a small law firm so employees get sick, our work schedule has other commitments, emails sometimes get lost, sometimes inventors do not timely respond to our requests for additional information and other issues just like any other small law firm. We make no guarantee that your provisional application will be reviewed within any deadline you have or inform us of. You should expect that it will take at least 1-2 weeks for us to perform the review.
- No Advice Outside the Review Service. We will not provide advice outside our very limited role to perform the limited review of the provisional application. For example, if you have questions regarding patent strategy, timing of filing, foreign patent rights or other questions not related to our limited service of filing your self-drafted provisional application, you will either need to retain a different patent attorney to assist you or retain our law firm to give such advice (we require an additional retainer for any services provided outside the limited scope of services).
- No Review for All Subject Matter Included. We will not review your self-drafted provisional application to help you determine if you properly drafted the provisional application to include all of the subject matter of your invention — that is solely up to you to decide. It is impossible for us to know if you have included all of the inventive subject matter with this limited review so that responsibility is solely up to you!
- No Patent Assignment Agreement. We will not prepare or record a patent assignment agreement relating to your provisional application.
- Nothing Else Unless Expressly Stated in Writing! Unless we expressly state you get something in writing for the very limited provisional filing service, you will not get it!
What You Only Get (Very Limited Services)
The Patent Attorney Review will only include limited and basic feedback from a U.S. patent attorney as to identify potential areas in your provisional application that can be improved (see prior section also as to what you expressly do not get!). Our hourly rates are over $500 per hour, so for this very low flat-fee you cannot expect that we will be spending 10 hours reviewing your provisional application. While no specific suggestions are provided with the Patent Attorney Review, the feedback provided may help you determine what changes and improvements you could make to your provisional application prior to filing with the USPTO. If you should need detailed feedback/suggestions on how to improve your provisional patent application, that is a different service that is billed hourly and typically costs over $4,000 depending upon various factors. The Patent Attorney Review will be e-mailed to you with no hard copy unless you specifically request otherwise.
What We Need From YouTo perform the Patent Attorney Review, we will need you to (a) complete the order form below, (b) provide the required retainer and (c) provide a complete copy of your self-draft provisional application prepared by PatentWizard (including drawings). Once we receive your request, we will send you a notification of the same.
By selecting the Order Now button below, you are agreeing that (i) you have read the information above, (ii) you fully understand the risks of self-drafting a provisional patent application, and (iii) Neustel Law Offices, LTD may not accept your case and may return all original documents/payments without reviewing or filing your provisional patent application for various reasons at their sole discretion including, but not limited to, conflict of interest.